Provider Alert! Updates to Prior Authorization Requirements for Genetic Testing, Wheelchair accessory, and Personal Care Servicestcph
Attention: All providers
Effective Date: March 1, 2021
Providers should monitor the Texas Children’s Health Plan (TCHP) Provider Portal regularly for alerts and updates associated to the COVID-19 event. TCHP reserves the right to update and/or change this information without prior notice due to the evolving nature of the COVID-19 event.
Call to action: Texas Children’s Health Plan (TCHP) would like to inform network providers of services that require a prior authorization effective March 1, 2021.
Genetic Testing Codes:
- 81202 APC (adenomatous polyposis coli) (eg, familial adenomatosis
- 81203 APC (adenomatous polyposis coli) (eg, familial adenomatosis
- 81212 BRCA1 (BRCA1, DNA repair associated), BRCA2 (BRCA2, DNA repa
- 81224 CFTR (cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator) (eg, cystic fibrosis) gene analysis; intron 8 poly-T analysis
- 81233 BTK (Bruton’s tyrosine kinase) (eg, chronic lymphocytic leukemia) gene analysis, common variants
- 81237 EZH2 (enhancer of zeste 2 polycomb repressive complex 2 subunit) (eg, diffuse large B-cell lymphoma) gene analysis, common variant(s)
- 81238 F9 (coagulation factor IX) (eg, hemophilia B), full gene sequence
- 81247 G6PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) (eg, hemolytic anemia, jaundice), gene analysis; common variant(s)
- 81248 G6PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) (eg, hemolytic anemia, jaundice), gene analysis; known familial variant(s)
- 81249 G6PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) (eg, hemolytic anemia, jaundice), gene analysis; full gene sequence
- 81275 KRAS (Kirsten rat sarcoma viral oncogene homolog) (eg, carci)
- 81301 Microsatellite instability analysis (eg, hereditary non-poly
- 81318 PMS2 (postmeiotic segregation increased 2 [S. cerevisiae]) (
- 81334 RUNX1 (runt related transcription factor 1) (eg, acute myeloid leukemia, familial platelet disorder with associated myeloid malignancy), gene analysis, targeted sequence analysis (eg, exons 3-8)
- 81364 HBB (hemoglobin, subunit beta) (eg, sickle cell anemia, beta thalassemia, hemoglobinopathy); full gene sequence
- 81303 MECP2 (methyl CpG binding protein 2) (eg, Rett syndrome) gene analysis; known familial variant
- 81304 MECP2 (methyl CpG binding protein 2) (eg, Rett syndrome) gene analysis; duplication/deletion variants
- 81322 PTEN (phosphatase and tensin homolog) (eg, Cowden syndrome, PTEN hamartoma tumor syndrome) gene analysis; known familial variant
- 81329 SMN1 (survival of motor neuron 1, telomeric) (eg, spinal muscular atrophy) gene analysis; dosage/deletion analysis (eg, carrier testing), includes SMN2 (survival of motor neuron 2, centromeric) analysis, if performed
- 81336 SMN1 (survival of motor neuron 1, telomeric) (eg, spinal muscular atrophy) gene analysis; full gene sequence
- 81337 SMN1 (survival of motor neuron 1, telomeric) (eg, spinal muscular atrophy) gene analysis; known familial sequence variant(s)
- 81341 TRB@ (T cell antigen receptor, beta) (eg, leukemia and lymphoma), gene rearrangement analysis to detect abnormal clonal population(s); using direct probe methodology (eg, Southern blot)
- E2398 Wheelchair accessory, dynamic positioning hardware for back
Personal Care Services:
- G0162 Skilled services by a registered nurse (RN) for management and evaluation of the plan of care; each 15 minutes
How this impacts providers: Providers should follow the new prior authorization guidelines and submit the requests for coverage timely to ensure payment. The turnaround time for routine requests is three business days.
Next steps for providers: Providers should inform their staff of the new prior authorization requirements.
If you have any questions, please email Provider Network Management at: firstname.lastname@example.org.