The YES Waiver for Medicaid Members: What You Need to Know
What is the YES Waiver?
The Youth Empowerment Services (YES) Wavier is a Medicaid program that helps youth ages 3-18 years old with serious developmental, emotional, and behavioral difficulties. The YES waiver provides intensive services delivered within a strengths-based team planning process called wraparound. Wraparound builds on family and community support to build a family’s natural support network and connection with the community. The goal of the YES Waiver is to prevent out of home placement. It is a short-term waiver that lasts 6-18 months, dependent on the child’s needs. Services include:
- Respite Services
- Community Living Supports
- Specialized Therapies
- Family Supports
- Employment Assistance and Supported Employment
- Adaptive Aids and Supports
- Minor Home Modifications
- Non-medical Transportation
- Paraprofessional Services
- Supportive Family-based Alternatives
- Transition Services
Who is eligible for YES Waiver services?
Any child ages 3-18 years old who:
- has serious mental, emotional and behavioral difficulties;
- has a qualifying mental health diagnosis;
- is at risk for placement outside of the home due to mental health needs;
- meets criteria to be in a psychiatric hospital;
- is eligible for Medicaid (parent income is waived); and
- currently lives in a home setting with a legal guardian or on his/her own.
How do I refer a child who meets the above requirements?
A child’s legal guardian (or child if independent) can contact the Local Mental Health Authority to request an assessment for The YES waiver program.
LMHA contact numbers:
The Harris Center – 713-970-7212
Texana – 281-239-1485
Gulf Coast – 409-944-4555
Tri County – 800-347-5208
Spindletop – 409-839-1063
HHSC Inquiry line for all LMHAs – 512-838-4334
Please go to https://hhs.texas.gov/services/mental-health-substance-use/childrens-mental-health/yes-waiver for more information on the YES Waiver.