Do you know how to access the Texas Children’s Health Plan formulary?Texas Children's Health Plan
Texas Children’s Health Plan follows the State of Texas Medicaid and CHIP formulary that is managed by the Texas Medicaid/CHIP Vendor Drug Program.
Prescribers and their staff can easily access the formulary online at: http://www.txvendordrug.com/formulary/index.asp.
By visiting this website, you can search for either a drug or product by either NDC, brand name, generic name, or class.
The results will show:
- Drug Program Type (Drugs covered by Medicaid(STAR) will display a V, Drugs covered by CHIP will display a P)
- Drug Name
- Generic Name
- NDC number that is covered in the Texas Medicaid Formulary
- Package Size
- Authorization requirements
- PDL (Preferred Drug List) PA requirements –
- Drugs that do not require a PDL PA are on the Medicaid formulary and are a preferred product
- Clinical PA requirements Drugs that require a clinical prior authorization will need supporting documentation submitted for prior authorization. Forms for prior authorization can be found on
In addition, prescribers can also access the Texas Medicaid and CHIP formularies through ePocrates. ePocrates provides clinical drug reference information to practitioners. If you are interested in using ePocrates to access the formularies, complete the following steps:
1. Register on the ePocrates website: www.epocrates.com.
2. Select the ePocrates software you would like to download—ePocrates Rx®, ePocrates Rx Pro™, ePocrates Essentials™, or ePocrates Essentials Deluxe™. You can also access the ePocrates online system directly through your internet browser by clicking on “EPocrates Online” in the upper right hand corner of the home page.
3. Click on the link, “Edit Formularies.”
4. Select Texas Medicaid and Texas CHIP Formulary from the list of formularies and click on the button, “Add”
Using the preferred products on the VDP formulary will ensure prescriptions will be filled without the need for follow up or delay.
If you would like additional information about accessing the Texas Children’s Health Plan formulary call our provider relations department at 832-828-1008 or toll-free at 1-800-731-8527.
Leave a Reply