Provider Alert! REMINDER: Federal Public Health Emergency Ended May 11, 2023 – Update on COVID FlexibilitiesTexas Children's Health Plan
Date: May 19, 2023
Attention: All Providers
Call to action: The Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) updated the COVID flexibilities with several new updates since March 2023 as a result of the public health emergency (PHE) ending. This includes the following:
- HHSC to End Telephone (Audio-only) Medical Services COVID-19 Guidance and Issue Temporary Guidance for Certain Audio-Only Services
- Infection Control Supplies Procedure Code S8301 No Longer a Benefit Effective May 12, 2023
- Advance Notice of Requirements for the Use of Telecommunications for Service Coordination and Assessments
Click here for a complete list of COVID flexibility updates.
Previously reported flexibilities ending May 11, 2023, include the following:
- Case Management for Children and Pregnant Women (CPW) COVID-19 Flexibilities
- Remote Delivery of THSteps Medical Checkups For a full description of the visit components and billing information click here to visit the provider alert.
- Telephone (Audio-only) Nutritional Counseling Services Ending at End of PHE
- Spell of Illness Extension for COVID-19-Related Inpatient Hospital Claims
- Waived CHIP Co-pays for Medical Office Visits
- Provider Enrollment Revalidation Extensions
Click here to access the provider alert published in March.
Background information: HHSC has previously provided notice that the above flexibilities for COVID-19 federal PHE declared January 31, 2020, ended on May 11, 2023. In response to the PHE, HHSC had implemented certain flexibilities for Texas Children’s Health Plan and other managed care organizations (MCOs) and dental maintenance organizations (DMOs), providers and members, and has issued guidance through MCO Notices with expiration dates to reflect when these guidances will end.
Resources: Medicaid and CHIP Services Information for Providers updated May 2023
Stakeholder update: COVID-19 Medicaid and CHIP Flexibility Extensions and End of PHE Notices
If you have any questions, please email Provider Relations at: firstname.lastname@example.org. For access to all provider alerts, log into: www.thecheckup.org or www.texaschildrenshealthplan.org/for-providers.