March is National Nutrition MonthTexas Children's Health Plan
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recognizes March as National Nutrition Month. This month we focus on healthy living through nutrition, bite by bite. Make informed food choices by creating and planning healthy meals, every day, each week.
- Start each day with a healthy breakfast.
- Drink more water. Hydration is important for both physical and mental functioning.
- Get physically active.
- Plan your meals and prep ahead.
- Learn and implement proper portion sizes.
- Substitute meat for plant-based alternatives.
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep per day.
- When eating out, plan ahead and make careful selections.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- For desk-top dining, keep quick healthy options, such as whole grain crackers, fruit and soup in your desk for a quick lunch.
- Consult a dietitian.
According to the United States Department of Health and Human Services, more than 80% of adults do not meet the guidelines for both aerobic and muscle-strengthening activities. Let’s counteract this statistic by increasing physical activity. When you move, you improve your mental health, physical health and your longevity at the same time. Healthy eating habits and physical activity provide a range of benefits including:
- Disease prevention
- Better sleep
- Increased energy
- Mental health benefits
- Stronger immune system
- Better brain function
- Healthier heart
- Increased productivity
- Increased happiness
- Less sick days
- Better overall performance
Spread the word by using #NationalNutritionMonthTCHP on Social Media. Show the world how you’re boosting your nutrition this month.
Leave a Reply